"Art is a fundamental human process. Every society from the most primitive to the most sophisticated has expressed itself through art. But more important every person has put thoughts and emotions into an art form. ... Art is a dynamic and unifying activity, with great potential for the education of our children. "
Lowenfield and Brittan, 1983
Art and Design is an essential form of expression for children in the federation. They are given the opportunity to explore their ideas by experimenting, inventing and creating their own unique works of art using a range of media. They will, as they progress through the school, learn how to draw, paint, sculpt and explore other art and craft techniques.
In the early years, children are provided with opportunities to be imaginative, explore different materials and develop their ideas. They are encouraged to practise their handling, moving and control skills which stay with them through the primary school years.
In key stage one and two, children begin to explore different techniques of creative expression using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space. As the children progress through the school, they are also given the opportunity to study, explore and be inspired by great classical and contemporary artists, architects and designers. Our creative curriculum days, which link into the humanities topics taught, are additional opportunities for children to be creative and expressive through art and design projects.
The aims of art and design are:
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work.
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
- To improve the children's ability to control materials, tools and techniques.
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
To view the Art and Design Long Term Plan click here